Canceled – Join us in 2021.
Crush Cancer during this chip-timed 5K held within the 100 acres of Maymont. You will NOT set a PR at this race. It is not a “fast and flat” course. Instead, it is a tough course that parallels the journey a cancer patient follows when fighting cancer. Choose a friend or family member who has fought cancer to honor or remember during this race. Or if you are a survivor, recall your own cancer journey. We will have race bibs for you to reflect the names of those for whom you are running. During this race, you will encounter:
- Uncertainty about how long it may take you to complete the course. This uncertainty is just a small taste of what cancer patients face when confronted with the words “you have cancer.”
- Steep inclines. Cancer patients must climb mountains in their fight against the disease.
- Steep descents. Sometimes things seem to be going great for cancer patients and there is a setback, a “descent.”
- Twists and turns. It is often difficult for cancer patients to see the light at the end of the tunnel.
- Momentary confusion. We will mark the course carefully, but you will need to pay attention. Cancer patients must remain vigilant during their journeys.
- Friends and family. One of the most important resources for cancer patients is the love of friends and family. Bring your family to join you on this journey.
- Joy of the Finish Line. Crossing the finish line is like hearing “you are cancer-free.” For cancer patients, this may take 5 years or more after treatment is completed. For you, today, it comes after only five kilometers.
The race is hosted by Amy’s Army of Cancer Warriors and proceeds will go to cancer research at VCU Massey Cancer Center right here in RVA. After running through the finish line, children with cancer, our “Podium Kids” will present the awards to the fastest runners.
After the awards ceremony, we’ll have a Crush Cancer Kids Run on the grounds of Maymont. Every kid gets a medal, and a chance to customize the medal after the run at our arts and crafts table. Plus they and you can make extra Medals for Heroes that will be given to cancer patients.
The amazing after-party takes place at Maymont, www.maymont.org. Be sure to visit the gorgeous Italian and Japanese Gardens. The grounds of Maymont are Party Central for the day. You will be joined by cyclists as they finish Pedal through Petals. Hear from doctors about the amazing research you are helping to fund. Stretch out during our yoga on the lawn event. Dance to the music, see everything the vendors have to offer, and enjoy lunch under the trees on the carriage lawn. Don’t miss our incredible silent auction. The Flying Squirrels’ Nutzy will join us, as will a Princess who will charm the kids.
Your VIP run or walk ticket gets you:
- Lunch from a local Food Truck
- Admission to the VIP area
- Two drinks tickets, good for Isley Brewing beer, wine, cocktails or fancy mocktails!
- Amy’s Army of Cancer Warriors sunglasses
Schedule of Events:
- Packet Pickup, either:
- Saturday, 5/4, Isley Brewing, 2 pm to 4 pm
- Sunday, 5/5, Maymont 8 am to 10:15 am
- 5K Run/Walk Start: 10:30 am
- Awards Ceremony: 11:45
- Kids Run: 12:30