The Ride Start
8:45 am – If you’d like to be among the first to start, please be ready with your bike and helmet and begin lining up for the wave start. The Ride Leaders will be lined up behind Ride Starter Volunteers. Gather friends and your bike and head to a Ride Leader and Ride Starter Volunteer. Ride Leaders will have about 10 riders (and no more than 12 including the leader) in their waves.
The Ride Start Volunteer on your side will pass out cue sheets to you.
9:00 am – We will have a welcome and a few words about our mission and safety brief. Immediately thereafter the ride will start and the first Ride Leaders of wave #1 will roll out, etc.
All riders will start with a Ride Leader, but after the first stop you may choose to remain with your Ride Leader or navigate the route on your own with the cue sheet. Note: do not read the cue sheet while riding. We will not have signs to direct all turns, so if you are not familiar with the route you may want to stick with your ride leader.
Rules of the Road
- Wear your helmet at all times and follow all traffic signals and signs.
- Wear you bib on the front of your shirt at all times.
- If you choose to ride with your Ride Leader you are responsible for keeping track of when he or she leaves each garden stop.
- Ride in a straight line and check over your shoulder before changing lines or turning. Use hand signals to indicate your direction.
- Be vocal, keep to the right and pass on the left (call out “on your left!” when passing).
- Do not use your cell phone or headphones at any time while riding.
Restrooms and water stops
At the start, there will water to fill your bottles and porto-potties.
You may use the restroom and get water at the VMFA.
SAG (Support and Gear)
For medical Emergency call 911.
Bike Mechanical problem or feeling out of steam? There will be a SAG wagon to help. Let your Ride Leader know and they will call the SAG wagon. You and your bike will be picked up and head back to Party Central. If riding on your own any Garden Docent will contract the SAG wagon for you.